UFC 145 Press Conference News & Notes
Posted on 22 Apr 2012
by MMAScoops.com Staff
The following are notes from the post UFC 145 press conference:
* Dana White praised the show's undercard, and it is not a slight to be on the preliminary card in his opinion.
* They got scared about the PPV window of time, which is why they cut some entrances tonight.
* They are working on the Puerto Rico market, but they have to take their time, and begin by getting the product into bars and such.
* Dana says Rory MacDonald looked phenomenal tonight, and is also surprised that Hominick has dropped three fights in a row. He feels that Yagin should have pressed in round three to finish.
* On the Jones vs. Evans feud, Dana says it was big, but he won't know how big until Monday when he gets preliminary PPV numbers in. But this was good for Jones to go five rounds and dominate a fighter like Rashad Evans.
* Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson is the next fight for the Light Heavyweight Title.
* Rashad says he is stating at 205, and has only lost to the best.
* Dana discusses Michael McDonald and says it was a huge win, but will not confirm that he is in the mix.
* Rashad was not impressed with his own performance, he felt he mentally blocked himself.
* Jon Jones arrives and when asked about the fight, says he felt great and says Rashad was a game opponent and the victory has elevated him. He also feels he doubted himself and also says he respects Rashad a lot.
* Jones says he was not hurt during the fight, and Evans was able to make his legs sore with leg kicks.
* Jones says he learned not to be intimidated and to trust in his skills.
* Dana says that Browne or Rothwell finished early tonight, and there is a possibility that they could take a spot on the May card.
* Jones says that Evans was really smooth out in the cage.
* Jones says that he has succeeded due to his camp at Jackson's. He believes in his team, and praises them.
* Jones is happy to know who his next opponent is, but says he will have a lot to conquer in that fight.
* Dana is asked about a return to Atlanta, praises the market, but cannot confirm a return date.
* Jones again says he respects Rashad, and says he hopes they can reconnect in some way.
* Rashad does not rule out rekindling the friendship.
* Rashad discusses the feeling losing to Jones and Machida. He says Jones does things no one else does, and that Jones "out-slicked" him. He was never really ready for some of Jones' offense, as in he knew what Jones would do, but couldn't react fact enough.
* Dana is asked about Torres' loss, and Dana says he got caught, but Miguel fought his game and just ate a great shot. He is not sure about Torres' future, but make no mistake, he likes Torres.
* Dana and Chael Sonnen are on their way to Brazil tonight, so an announcement on the situation in Brazil will come soon.
* Dana is asked about MMA in Korea and expanding there. Dana says he has discussed it and they re working on Korea and China right now. He says they have a date planned for a show in China.
* Dana is asked about having a stable champion LIKE Jones, and Dana says it is what it is. He has no control, sometimes they have a dominant guy, other times it will bounce around.
* Jones says he is thankful that he and Rashad are both not injured, so that they can carry on and do what they love.
* Jon Jones exits early at 1:48AM ET.
* They wrap things up as Rashad discusses that he had a plan to go to the body, but he was never consistent and the plan just never worked as he had hoped.
* Rashad says Jones isn't comparable to Anderson Silva yet because he has not cleaned out his division.
* Rashad says he is a fighter and will fight anyone the UFC puts in front of them.
8 The press conference ends at 1:51AM ET.